I am a mom and a portrait photographer working in the (Southern) Bay Area of California.
Since we’re all short on time, I’m going to give you the Reader’s Digest version first and if you are so inclined you are welcome to read the much longer “Tolstoy” ish version on my website! :)
In a nutshell:
- I believe photography is a form of storytelling. I also believe that being passionate about photography is one thing. Having the skill, expertise, know how and experience to actually produce a fantastic image is an entirely different matter. I pride myself on my work, my craft, and my ability to create magic with my camera.
- Being a mom is by far the hardest, most challenging, selfless job on the planet. It also happens to be the most rewarding one too. So I guess it all balances out in the end, huh?
- I love all things Vintage and handmade. I am currently on an Etsy moratorium because I can’t seem to check that site without it resulting in a (minimum) 3 hr time warp and a severe strain on my pocketbook. So, no more Etsy for me right now. Waaaaaaaaaaah!
- Being surrounded by real, authentic and genuine people makes my heart sing.
- Kids are about as real and authentic as it gets. They make my heart sing.
- Speaking of singing, I can’t sing to save my life but my children don’t know any better (yet) and thus can still tolerate my singing. Until they figure it out, I’ll keep singing in the car at the top of my lungs. Music is an unending source of joy in our lives!
- I love what I do and do what I love. Perhaps a bit of a corny cliche, but it’s truly how I feel.
- I am a self professed techie/gadget/computer geek. Geek is the new chic. :)
- Capturing those connections, interactions, mannerisms, genuine expressions and unconditional love within a family unit is what I have always found myself drawn to. It's my main focus when I’m photographing a family.
- I sometimes like the funny “outtakes” shots more than the “real” shots.
- I'll give you both because I can never delete an image that I like. It’s sorta like a disorder or something. I'm sure there's a self help group out there for me.
- My kids are the driving force and inspiration behind everything I do and the impetus for how I ended up being a professional photographer.
- I love working in an artistic and creative field. It feeds my soul.
- I like to abuse myself by signing up for things like triathlons and other ridiculously insane activities like “Mud Pit Obstacle Course Runs” (yeah, don’t ask....)
- I have a very rambunctious Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy whom I love entirely too much. It’s probably bordering on a tad bit unhealthy how much I absolutely adore that dog. Having said that, I can’t help myself. He’s just *that* cute.
- I think laughter is absolutely magical. The sound of my kids playing and laughing together is, quite possibly, the best sound on earth.
- I am fueled almost exclusively by coffee and dark chocolate.
- Sleep? What is this Sleep thing you speaketh of? I am not familiar with it. How does it work?
- I’m eternally grateful to the amazing families and wonderful clients I’ve had over the past 6+ years of being a Professional Photographer. It has been (and continues to be) an absolute honor to chronicle your individual and unique journeys through life. THANK YOU!
Canon digital full frame 5d Mark II camera body. Canon 5d back up body
70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS lens - for candid moments or distance shots (I rarely use this lens)
24-70mm F2.8 - One of my absolute favorite lenses. But see below.
24-105mm f4 IS lens - Great all around lens. I vacillate between being in love with my 24-70 and being in love with my 24-105. I have lens "phases" I think. Right now, I am using the 24-105mm more than the 24-70 due to it focusing more accurately for me.
100 mm f2.8 MACRO lens - Such a great, fun lens! Perfect for detail shots. Use this one with newborns.
85 mm f1.8 lens - My portrait lens, gorgeous results. Just yummy!
50 mm f1.8 lens - fast and CHEAP indoor lens if you are just starting out in photography.
35 mm f1.4 lens - This lens rocks my world. Turns into a fast prime nearly 50mm lens on the 40D/50d/rebel series cameras due to crop factor of the frame. Perfect focal length on the 5d for weddings. SUPER fast, sharp, delicious lens.
16-35mm f2.8L lens - my wedding lens and landscape lens.
580 EXII TTL flash and an old back up 580EX flash unit. W/ 3 pocket wizards II's for wireless triggering. Plus Westcott amd Lastolite softboxes on Alien Bee stands.
Bogen Tripod (rarely used as kids and tripods aren't really compatible!)
Other misc stuff like light meters and reflectors etc...
The brother and sister (under the heading "tenderness" on my blog banner) are my son and daughter. I think they're kinda cute. :)